A hotel is part of an industry that has a large negative impact on the environment, and so we are extra mindful of how to minimise that impact. Our efforts include:
• planting trees so as to offset the carbon footprint of guests’ travel to the island. To this end, we are collaborating with local experts to ensure that we act in harmony with the island’s ecology. There will be a live webcam, where you can see the ‘baby forest’ and every now and then planting & watering activities, as well as a ‘tree headcount’, a carbon-trap count, and our guests’ carbon footprint.
• not having any single-use plastics in the hotel. The soaps and shampoos, for instance, are delivered to us in large refillable containers, and we in turn fill our own ceramic dispensers. Toothbrushes are made of bamboo by Swedish eco company The Humble Co.
• our pillows and duvets have synthetic down.
• most of the food is local and organic (from Syros or other Cycladic islands).
• we encourage guests not to request daily changes of towels and bedclothes.
• food leftovers are composted.
We are always happy to hear from our guests about other ways in which we could help the environment.